craft room design – revealing my favorite place

I revealed my craft room/office when it was about 90% complete back in March. It was one of the first rooms we tried to finish so I would have my dedicated space for crafting, studying and working from home. I’ve been making tweaks to it since but I finally have our most recent updates to share. I spent a lot of time thinking of what my craft room design would be, but ultimately, I wanted an airy space with a bright color and a combination of light and dark furniture. It is playful but still inspirational.

Just a recap – my craft room looked like this when we bought the house in December and started renovating. Lovely, right? You know you love that 50s/60s carpet. Looks even better when we had to rip out the termite damaged original floors.

We made some progress and the room was looking much nicer by March. It was workable but it wasn’t quite where I wanted it to be. I wanted more storage and a bigger desk.

And here is my favorite space now! My desk is on the left and the hubby’s is on the right.

We expanded my desk which we made using a hollow door as the top and several Alex drawer systems from IKEA. I’ll give you a tutorial on this soon. My desk houses my sewing machine, Silhouette  and little containers for all my goodies. The window has a little cat cushion for my crafting companions too.

I purchased two Lack shelves from IKEA to add extra storage outside of the closet. I’ve been using them to display some framed pieces, my stack of craft books, my pretty ribbon holders and thread display.

I added an Expedit system for a bunch of my crafty supplies. It displays my paper holders for large scrapbook papers, paints, stencils and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. The cats are fond of sleeping in the cubbies as well.

I added picture frame ledges from IKEA for my bakers twine and glitter and another one for keeping my sewing template things close by. I’m a novice sewer and just realized I have no idea what those are called but they are very handy at helping me cut a straight line!

I have my bulletin board with paper bunting and a series of magnetic spice holders for all my little embellishments right next to my work space.

We also have a couch/extra sleeper for when we have company. Lemur loves to nap here during the day.

The corner between my desk and the Expedit system serves as a little hideaway for the cats too. Annie has claimed the spot and her bed is tucked in there.

My craft closet had an organization makeover earlier this summer and is covered up by an easy DIY curtain.

And there you have it! My favorite retreat. What do you think of my craft room design? It works well for studying and working from home. A much happier space than my drab beige cubicle in the office ;)

Thanks for following Directions Not Included!

you might also like:

Comments

1. says

Love it! Lots of great organization and space for creative pursuits. How are the hollow core doors working out as desktops? I have considered using those but was nervous that they would not hold up to the wear and tear of everyday use…you may have convinced me otherwise!
    Cathy@ Room Rx

2. says

I’m so jealous!! Our apartment right now is too small for a craft room–we have 2 bedrooms, but the second is for the weight bench, my hubby’s computer desk, and our animals. No room for my crafts…yet. Just wait until he leaves for the Army…haha! :) Thanks for sharing this awesome room renovation!!

3. says

The color is so calming and transforming! WOW! Excellent before and after photos! I am LOVING everything about your room! I would really like to have a sofa in mine as well. Thank you so much for linking up to Roomspiration: Craft Rooms! Great to meet you!

4. says

This looks fantastic! I love that you left room for your kitties to hang out with you! When I’m at the computer mine just climbs up in my lap. At least that’s better than laying on the keyboard (which she does from time to time!)

The big question I have for you: how do you get your husband to realize that your crafting apace is a priority in a house full of to do’s? :)

5. Lesley says

What are you kidding? This is not a normal person craft room. This is like…Oprah’s craft room. I’m stupid jealous.

6. Rachel D @ Just Sew Y'all Know says

Ummm…Anna, I have seriously never been more jealous! You should do this for a living! I’d hire you in a heartbeat!

7. says

Beautiful!!! I dream of the day when I can have my own craft room and I am pinning this for future inspiration! It is great. I’m a new follower and I found your blog through the fingerprints on the fridge link party.

Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

8. says

This is a great space. I love all your organizational ideas. And just in time because I am redoing my project room too, nothing as beautiful as yours but hopefully better than it has been.
    I love how you created spaces for your cats in the room.
    I am a new follower and I look forward to seeing your dogs too.
    Traci

9. says

Oh my goodness, your craft room is amazing! And soooo organized! I linked over from Tatertots and Jello. There actually isn’t a thumbnail picture for your link (you might want to go back and fix that), but I read the title “craftroom reveal” and had to come over and take a peek! We are all super jealous! :)

10. Marilyn says

WOW – so creative and beautiful.. Love it..Hi there, I found ya via blog hop and had to stop in and say hello, LOVE all your creativity and space here.. Excited to get to share in more blog fun reads and inspiration from ya.. I’m officially following ya with smiles…. Hope you can swing in and say hello sometime :)) I’m Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com

11. Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn says

Oh I just love your craft room! I hope you will add your lovely metamorphosis to my Fall in Love linky party on Wednesday.

Until then, stop by and see the under $20 makeover I gave an ugly brass light fixture.

Happy Monday!

12. Natalie Conrad says

It’s beautiful! I am in the process of re-doing my office/craft room. I love the color of your walls. I can’t paint mine but I am using that color in the artwork and accessories!

13. Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR says

Great craft room! You are going to have some great times creating in there! I am now following you; and I hope you will follow me, too! God bless!

14. says

Wow, I just love this! My favorite part is how you used an IKEA picture ledge to corral your glitter. I had to make a note of that as my craft room is currently under scrutiny. Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Dollie @ Dollie Creates says

Oh Wow! I love your craft room! I wish I could organize mine that well!
    (Super excited I stumbled across your blog!)
    Dollie

16. says

This is a wonderful space! I wish we had an Ikea in Vermont. I looked up the shelving you used and some of it is available online so I’ll have to keep these in mind. Thanks for the ideas!